Contract of Proofreading Services
[Please take time to read this page. I agree it's passive and legalese-y in tone, but that's how the lawyerly people like it 😉 ]
I provide the following terms and conditions so that you and I have an understanding of what is involved in working together. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me so that I can provide clarity and reassurance.
- These terms and conditions apply to any work done on behalf of the Client (you) by me, Sally Olson, proofreader. I will provide proofreading services agreed upon (in writing) by myself and the Client.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work from the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my equipment.
- The work will be carried out by me. I will not subcontract proofreading or parts of projects, to third parties.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client's employees.
- I work with clients within the United States of America.
- All work is accepted and completed in the English language only.
The contract of service requires that the Client and I both acknowledge, in writing, that we have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
Before commencement of the proofreading work, the Client and I will agree, in writing, to the terms of the project:
- Understand that “proofreading” is the process of reviewing a written content for grammar, spelling, punctuation, and style, primarily.
- Proofreading follows editing/copyediting.
- The medium in which the proofreading service will be carried out (e.g., in Google Doc Comments, in Word Track Changes, in PDF, on paper)
- How the material will be annotated (e.g., Track Changes in Word, comments, proofreader marks and symbols on paper)
- The style guide to be followed
- The length of time required to complete the project, as advised by me a fee for the project, based on a quotation supplied by me, in writing, following my evaluation of the material to be proofread and the time frame required to complete the job any expenses (e.g., postage) that the Client will bear in addition to the costs of the proofreading
- The date by which the material is due to the Client to me
- The latest date by which the completed project will be returned, following my advice to the Client
Please note that if, on receipt of the project to be worked on (or at an early stage), it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief or from the sample supplied, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline to carry out the work.
- A quotation for fees is supplied after an evaluation of the proofs and a discussion with the Client as to what is required.
- The Client will pay me a fee per word, per hour (hour OR per 1,000 words, OR an agreed flat fee for the job, according to prior agreement.
- Once the Client and I have agreed on the full fee, it is non-negotiable unless the Client extends the word count of the job or requests additional services. In this case, a revised quotation and job-completion date will be negotiated.
- Unless otherwise agreed, I will supply the Client with an invoice immediately upon return of the completed proofreading/editing project.
- Payment is due for completion of the project. A 10-percent late charge is applied after seven days.
I do not require a deposit or retainer. However, once I have received written (including by email) confirmation that the Client wishes to secure my proofreading services for a specific and mutually agreed-upon project, at a specific and mutually agreed-upon time, and has read and agreed to the terms and conditions herein, the terms of the cancellation policy (see below) apply.
- Cancellation during the project: In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work during the proofreading project, if the job is over halfway complete I reserve the right to invoice for 100 percent of the agreed fee; if the job is under halfway complete I reserve the right to invoice for 50 percent of the agreed fee.
- Cancellation prior to project commencement: In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work prior to the proofreading project commencing, but after making a booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions of service herein, I reserve the right to invoice for 50 percent of the agreed fee if the cancellation occurs with less than one week’s (7 business days) notice.
- If the Client wishes to cancel with more than one week's notice but less than two weeks' notice, I reserve the right to invoice for 50 percent of the previously agreed fee for the work.
- If the Client wishes to cancel with more than two weeks' notice, no charge will apply.
- Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services at any time if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- In the unlikely event that the Client is touched by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation (e.g., family crisis, illness, etc.), the Client should contact me to discuss the terms of the cancellation policy. I aim to be fair and helpful at all times.
- If I am touched by similar extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation, I will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity and do my best to renegotiate the time frame of the project or find an alternative supplier of proofreading/editing services.
The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
I will not, under any circumstances, upload the Client’s files to external websites or distribute them to third parties unless specifically authorized to do so, in writing, by the Client.
Copyright. All content delivered to me by the Client for the proofreading/editing project is owned by the Client.